Economic Administration Division in the D/o Agriculture, Cooperation & Farmers Welfare deals with all administrative & financial matters relating to two attached offices i.e. Directorate of Economics & Statistics (DES) and the Commission for Agricultural Costs & Prices (CACP).
Directorate of Economics and Statistics (DES), an attached office of the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, is headed by Senior Economic & Statistical Adviser. DES collects, disseminates and publishes statistics on diverse facets of agriculture and related sectors required for policy formulation by the Government.
Major Divisions of DES are (i) Cost of Cultivation (ii) Land Use Statistics / Special Data dissemination Standards (iii) Commercial Crops (iv) Food Export (v) Coordination (vi) Prices & Marketing (vii) National Crops Forecasting Centre (viii) Agro Economic Research (ix) Agricultural statistics.
Over the years, a number of initiatives have been taken by DES to bring about improvement in the coverage, quality and timely availability of agricultural statistics for the benefit of farmers. Further details of DES functioning may be seen in their website at http://eands.dacnet.nic.in.
The following activities are undertaken by Economic Administration Division in respect of DES:-
- Finalization of Budget Estimates (BE), Revised Estimates (RE) and Re-appropriation of funds relating to Plan Schemes/ Non-Plan expenditure of DES;
- Release of funds in four quarterly installments for following five (5) Independent Components of a Plan Scheme namely “Integrated Scheme on Agriculture Census and Statistics”, being implemented by DES:-
• Improvement of Agricultural Statistics (IAS),
• Comprehensive Scheme for Studying the Cost of Cultivation of Principal Crops in India (CS),
• Agro-Economic Research Centres (AERC),
• Planning Management & Policy Formulation (PM&PF),
• Forecasting Agriculture Output Using Space, Agro-Meteorology and Land Based Observations (FASAL)
- During the current financial year 2016-17, total funds to the tune of Rs.18566.00 lakhs have been allocated as BE for implementation of the above mentioned five Components of the “Integrated Scheme on Agriculture Census and Statistics”. Out of the total funds allocated, funds amounting to Rs.11895.41 lakhs have been released upto November, 2016, which accounts for 64.07% of the total funds.
Commission for Agricultural Costs & Prices (CACP) , an attached office of the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare, is headed by Chairman. CACP, earlier known as “Agricultural Prices Commission (APC)” was set up in January, 1965 to advise the Government on price policy of major agricultural commodities with a view to evolving a balance and integrated price structure in the perspective of the overall needs of the economy and with due regard to the interests of the producer and the consumer. Since March 1985, the Commission has been known as Commission for Agricultural Costs and Prices (CACP). Further details of CACP functioning may be seen in their website at http://cacp.dacnet.nic.in.
CACP is headed by a Chairman, one Member (Official), two Members (Non-Official) and a Member Secretary. The non-official members are representatives of the farming community. They are usually persons with long field experience and active association with the farming community. As per the existing guidelines, appointment to the posts of Chairman, Members (Official & Non-Official) and Member Secretary, CACP requires approval of the Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC). The selection of the Chairman and Members of the CACP is made by a Search-cum-Selection Committee constituted under the chairmanship of Cabinet Secretary.
The current status of CACP is as under:-
- 1. Chairman - Dr. Vijay Paul Sharma
- 2. Member (O) - Dr. Suresh Pal
- 3. Member (NO) - Vacant
- 4. Member (NO) - Vacant
- 5. Member Secretary - Dr. Shailja Sharma